Child with fever, cough, raised patches on tummy, chin, under eye. Any allergy?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
My daughter (4) woke up on Tuesday with a bit of a croupy cough. Tuesday night wasn't bad and when she'd cough it wasn't really barky anymore. She did run a fever off and on through the night (oral 102 degrees). Now I am noticing raised patches on her tummy, side, chin, under eye and a little on a leg. She hasn't had any meds so it's not an allergic reaction.... advice, thoughts?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX

I will be happy to guide you further.

Can you tell me what happens when you press on the rash? Does it disappear temporarily and come back again? Is she getting lots of itching?

From the description given, it seems she is suffering from viral infection. There is no specific treatment for most of the viruses. Usually, body's immunity fights again the infection and we recover from infection.

My advice would be:
1. Encourage oral food and fluids
2. Give Paracetamol containing medications as and when there is fever (can be given maximum 4 times a day)
3. If the fever doesn't settle at all, she is very lethargic, vomiting a lot and anything unusual for her, please seek advice from your Physician or Pediatrician
4. If the rash is causing lots of itching, Anti-allergic medicine containing Cetirizine can be given

Most of viral infection start settling within 3-5 days.

Hope things start improving soon.

Dr Tejas Shah