Child with fever but good appetite. Anything to be done?

hi there, my 10 year old son has had a fever between 100 and 101 for the past 5 days. i took him to the dr. yesterday. though it was viral. he still has a fever and a cough. is this something i should be concerned with? he has had this happen before with the fevers< but not with the length of time like this. my son is on the small side.he is 10 and weighs 60 lbs. he is drinking normally. he does have not much of an appetite though. should i just wait this out? it just seems like a long time for a fever.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 28 minutes later

As per the description you have provided, it seems the child is suffering from FEVER WITH doctor a day ago so there is nothing to worry continue giving the medications prescribed. It takes minimum 2-3 days for any infection to be cured at least to some extent. Hence, be patient.

If the child becomes sick, unable to drink or eat, have disturbances in sleep, it indicates worsening of the condition due to failure of the treatment and at that stage takes the child to the treating doctor immediately.

Hope this answer will clear your doubt, if you need any further assistance you can write us back.

Follow-up: Child with fever but good appetite. Anything to be done? 23 minutes later
he was not prescribed any medications. i have been giving him childrens ibruprfoen. but he is not on antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 8 hours later
Welcome back.

Sorry for delay in my reply.

I do not know the reason why your treating doctor has not prescribed any medication, even though the child has fever.

Any way rush to the nearest pharmacy centre and ask for PARACETAMOL tablets give in the dose of 300mg three times per day, it is available as OTC. Consult your treating doctor as soon as possible.

The treating doctor will examine properly and prescribe you the antibiotic if the clinical condition demands.

Do write back if you have more queries.

Thank you.