Child with fever and rash on chest, tummy and back. No evidence of having worms. Should I give zentel?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Hello, My child has just turned 1. There is no evidence of her having worms, but she is around animals and puts many things in her mouth etc. Is it a good idea to give to Zentel deworming syrup as a precaution. She is also sleeping alot longer and seems to be going off solid foods, also not finishing her milk.

She also has a faint but slightly raised pink rash covering her chest, tummy, back and down to the nappy area. A few days ago she had an unexplained fever of 38.8 degrees celcius.
Thank you
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for the query
As per recent guidelines, routine deworming is not recommended anymore, but if you are suspecting that your child may have some worm infestation then you can use albendazole in a proper dose. Side effect of albendazole is very few mainly gastrointestinal upset and few due to expelled dead worms. Albendazole is a very safe drug if used in proper dose.
You have mentioned that your child is sleeping a lot. I would like to know if there is any recent change in pattern of sleeping and whether this is affecting his feeds.
If stool pattern is normal and there is no vomiting just try to continue feed as usual. Observe for any increase in lethargy, if any consult your pediatrician. In most of the cases, change in sleep pattern is just a subjective finding. You need not to worry for that.
Raised erythematous rashes may be due to some allergic reaction or it may also be a manifestation of some viral infection in which fever is followed by rashes like measles. In viral infection other symptoms like cold, cough, redness of eyes, loose stool etc. also occurs, which is not there in your child.
So, I would suggest you to observe your child for fever, any increase in rashes, decrease oral acceptance, decrease urine output.
I will be glad to answer if you have any further query.
Wish you and your child good health.
With regards
Follow-up: Child with fever and rash on chest, tummy and back. No evidence of having worms. Should I give zentel? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your response.

Her sleep patterns have not changed as such, she does however sleep for much longer periods at a time. From ave. 15-20min naps to over an hour now. and her energy levels seem to have dropped, where she would wake up and be full of beans, she now, lays in bed awake for some time before deciding to get up. also feeling grumpy and irritable, and generally, just not her happy self. This all started on the 24th with the fever. (the rash came after)

Could lemon grass oil be a reason for the rash, as we used that to repel mosquitos?

Her stools often change from solid to loose and with her not having such a large appetite anymore, her urine output has decreased only slightly.

I thought this may be due to teething, but then Im not too sure if she is as in the past it has been quite evident when she was teething.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 30 minutes later
Lemon grass oil may be a cause of the rashes. Have you applied this oil first time or earlier too? Your observation regarding her energy level or behavior cannot be ignored. Sleep pattern varies according to individual and also with the time. So don’t worry much about that. It seems that she had some kind of viral infection. What you need to do is just observe her closely for rashes and continue feeding at a frequent interval more in the form of liquid or semisolid, that will help in regaining her energy level and also to increase the urine output.
An antiallergic may be needed if there is increase in rashes or if it is associated with itching.
Again, I will advise you to observe your child for the condition I mentioned earlier as most of the viral illnesses have their own course and they resolve over a period of few days.
I hope this answers your query well.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.
With my best wishes
Follow-up: Child with fever and rash on chest, tummy and back. No evidence of having worms. Should I give zentel? 19 hours later
Thank you, I will let you know if the condition persists or worsens.

Thanks again Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 15 hours later
Most welcome
It will be my pleasure to help, if you need any...