Child with diarrhoea, itchy spots on leg and bumps. What does it mean?

Pediatrician
Question
My 2 year old has been having mild diarrhea for 4 days now and today for a second time he rlegs and bum got red irregualr shaped spots that itch. After putting ointment on theme they disappear. I took her to a walk in and got prescribed another ointment the day before yesterday. No spots yestarday, but agins some spots today. What does this sound like?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Firstly has the diarrhoea got controlled?
Was there any fever?
Where is the rash exactly ?
Is it located only on perianal area?
Are the skin rash raised above the skin?
What is the colour of the rash?
What ointment or cream did you apply?
Can you send some pictures of the rash?

Get back with the answers to the query so that u can guide you better.

Bye

Follow-up: Child with diarrhoea, itchy spots on leg and bumps. What does it mean? 1 hour later
Firstly has the diarrhoea got controlled? - yes, comes on and off....starts as normal stool and gets way too soft for what is normal for her
Was there any fever? - no fever
Where is the rash exactly ? - legs and bottom on the first day, only on calves and little on bottom on the third day
Is it located only on perianal area? - on legs too
Are the skin rash raised above the skin? - slightly
What is the colour of the rash? - redish, pink
What ointment or cream did you apply? - Floucinar, European brand, was prescribed a combination of Nistatin and Waltcort have notbought it since the Flucinar got rid of them, then there was nothing on the next day, and today she had less on calves and bum. Floucinar got rid of them again.
Can you send some pictures of the rash? - I have prepared the camenra if it appears tomorrow. It was my mother with her and until I got back from work, the Floucinar had cleared most of it.
The day before the diarrea started, we ahd a swimming lesson in a public pool that uses chlorine.

Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 1 hour later

From your description it is likely that it was an allergic rash because it responded to the floucinar (steroid cream).But we also need to remember that steroids can get the rash down for sometime but if the rash had been due to an infection like bacterial or fungus then sometimes it returns back in severe form.

There is another rash called Henoch Scholein Purpura which is also seen in the areas you have described and is due to autoimmune cause post an infection and sometimes no cause known. I would advise you to keep a watch on joint pains or blood in urine for few days .If it happens get in touch with her doctor.

As of now, if the rash is on the disappearing nature then continue with floucinar and do not use the nystatin combination one.

If the rash returns then I would advise you to get her blood and urine check done after her doctor’s examination.

Hope to have answered your query.
Bye