Ask a Dentist   »  

Child with dent on teeth. Is there any treatment?

My Goddaughter Wilma was born XXXXXXX 2, 2012. My question is about her two teeth, lower central incisors. One looks like it is normally shaped, but the other is bigger and kind of a "dent" in it. Something to worry about? I have a picture and a drawing to show. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 45 minutes later

I have gone through the reports attached along with the query. Your grand daughter seems to have a notched deciduous lower incisor. This is a congenital anomaly called dens-invaginatus,which arise as a result of an invagination in the surface of the tooth crown before calcification can occur. It is caused by-
1. Increased localized external pressure.
2. Focal growth retardation.
3. Focal growth stimulation in certain areas of the toothbud.

This condition is fairly common and usually associated with incisors.

In the mild form, there is a XXXXXXX invagination in the lingual pit area,which may not be evident clinically. Sometimes food debris may get packed in this notch resulting in caries and infection of the pulp; occasionally even before the tooth has completely erupted.

Please realize that this condition, partcularly in its mild form is fairly common.

We can be able to assess the severity of the condition through radiological examination.

That being said, since your grand daughter is just 9 months old and the effected teeth are deciduous/milk teeth which is going to shed at the age of 6 years, we need not be concerned. But, please monitor the eruption of other teeth too and if the condition has repeated you can consult a dentist and investigations like x-ray has to be done.

Meanwhile,to prevent caries, pulp infection and premature loss of the tooth, monitor the tooth regularly and watch out for any symptoms of caries. Clean her teeth using moist cotton after every meals to prevent caries. Some doctors believe in using preventive medications. You can discuss with her local doctor.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to help you if you have any other concerns.

Follow-up: Child with dent on teeth. Is there any treatment? 26 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Is it common that the "adult teeth" will have the same problem as the deciduous/milk teeth?
Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 31 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.

Chances of occurrence of dens-invaginatus are more common in adult/permanent teeth.

If all your doubts are cleared, please close the discussion.