Child with cough congestion, shivering and fever. What can be done?

18 mo with cough congestion and temp rectal of 96.5. What should I do? She had temp 102.4 yesterday, Has shivered and is playing, but has cough and chest congestion.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

If I have understood correctly this query seems to be regarding your 18 month old granddaughter. Please correct me if I have got it wrong.

If the rectal temperature is 96.5 then put a little more woollen on her so that the temperature builds up and she will not shiver. In case temperature rises then you will have to give her acetaminophen (Tylenol). For her cough and chest congestion you can give her a decongestant cough syrup for relief.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your granddaughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal