Child with bump on thighs, sore and painful. What dosage of bactrim would be safe to give?

Feb 2013

what dosage would be safe to give a 13 yr. old that is underr 100 lbs?
none, she apears to have 3 bumps on her thigh that looked like mesquito bites, but now 4 days later they are much worse and very red around the sore and they are painful. She is visiting with me, she is my granddaughter and I don't have her drug card or insurance card here. this appears to look like staff and I have bactrim 800 mg on hand. would it be safe to cut it in half and give her 400 mg?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The bumps on her thigh may be due to local skin reaction to mosquito bites or a bacterial skin infections like folliculitis.

But physical examination is important to know the nature of these bumps. If you upload the pictures of the bumps on this health portal.

Is there pus inside the bumps?

Is she having fever?

Bactrim is an antibiotic and it should be given for a course of 3 to 5 days with prescription from her doctor.

It will work for in some bacterial skin infections only.

Therefore I advise you to take her to the doctor for physical examination of the bumps and for prescription of appropriate medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.