Child with bump on head and lump on neck. Was told to have X-ray. What could be the bump?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hello! I have an 8 year old nephew. Yesterday a bump appeared on his head out of nowhere and he says that it doesnt hurt. His mom took him to the pediatrician and she noticed like a lump on the back of the neck also. She gave my nephew an order to take some X-rays. Im a little bit worried. What could this bumps or lumps be?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Where exactly the bump is present on head?

Is there any history of trauma to head?

Which part X-rays were ordered by the pediatrician?

X-rays of head usually done to know any bump arising from the skull bones
A lump on the back of neck may be due to an enlarged lymph node.

Lymph node enlargement occurs if there is any infection in its draining area.

Nothing to worry and I request you to provide the information in your next query to advise you in a better way.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child with bump on head and lump on neck. Was told to have X-ray. What could be the bump? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt reply. In regards to your questions:

1) After talking with my sister, both lumps are in the head area. One of them is almost in the middle of the top of the head. The other one is at the back of the head, towards the end of it almost at the beginning of the neck.
2) My nephew remembered that a couple of months ago he was playing with his sister and while jumping from one bed to another he banged his head on the floor. He says that the bump that is like in the middle of the head is where he hit himself.
3) I'll try to send the Xray order.

Once again, thank you.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later

Thank you for getting back and furnishing the details.

I went through the prescription of the doctor which you have attached with this query. I didn't get the X-ray film or report.

This denotes there is some skull issue and she wants to rule out a cyst but the language a little bit difficult for me to understand or the script is not legible for me to read.

With history of trauma to head in the past (couple of months ago) the lump on the top of head may be due to an organized hematoma.

With trauma on head, there may be accumulation of blood in the scalp layers which will form a swelling called hematoma or contusion.

This swelling will gradually decrease over weeks, but some times it may organize and calcify leading to formation of a hard lump.

But coming to the second one on the back of neck may be an enlarged lymph node.

Some times bony growths from skull bones or swellings in the scalp layers will present with bumps.

But physical examination will guide for the appropriate investigations which will confirm the origin of swelling.

I advise to consult the pediatrician again with X-rays to get the accurate diagnosis as management depends on the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child with bump on head and lump on neck. Was told to have X-ray. What could be the bump? 36 hours later
Doctor:

I attached the Xray images to this query. I'll appreciate your evaluation on them. Once again, thank you.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

For the skull X-ray reading, a professional radiologist opinion is required.

In my view I could not see any abnormal growth or swelling that is arising from the skull bones in these X-rays and they looks normal as per my knowledge.

Still I consider for the opinion of the radiologist in reporting the X-ray films.

Therefore I advise for consultation with his pediatrician along with X-rays and report to interpret and correlate the clinical findings with the report to come to a conclusion.

Regards.