Child with brownish particles in urine

Brown particles in my 3 year olds urine (found in a clean potty now several times). I initially thought it was dirt from the playground that got into her underwear. Today it happened twice -- post bath, no outdoor time.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for your child’s symptoms. Normally urine has sediment which tends to increase in a child who is dehydrated, has a fever or who has been exercising. In some cases certain types of sediment can be a sign of a disease state, such as kidney disease, lead poisoning, or a metabolic disorder.

If you are observing brown particles in your child’s urine, then it could be small stones or XXXXXXX particles in a child’s urine after they void and it could indicate kidney stones, medically called renal calculi.

You need to get your child examined from a pediatrician and get an ultrasound or an x-ray KUB done. The medical conditions that predispose a child to develop kidney stones include hypercalciuria (too much calcium in the urine), recurrent urinary tract infections, metabolic disorders, hyperparathyroidism, renal tubular acidosis or Cushing syndrome. In case, renal stones are found, then these conditions should also be investigated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.