Child with broken tibia fibula. X-ray showed bone formation and out of line. Advised to remain in cast

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
12 year old with broken tibia fibula - post 17 days. X-ray showed minimal bone formation and out of line. Dr. advised remain in full length cast until Aug. 7 and that bones would snap back into place. Do we need second opinion - someone else to read X-rays?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Marginal displacement of fracture ends in 12 years old child is acceptable and full length cast is required for 5-6 weeks for fracture tibia and fibula. If it is totally out of alignment in both views of X-ray, then it is not acceptable.

If there is any doubt, there is no harm to take second opinion. You can consult a second doctor with X-rays. If you wish you can upload the X-ray and reports on this site's uploader. I could be able to help you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Best wishes

Warm regards.

Orthopaedic surgeon