Child with bright yellow liquid discharge. No other symptoms

Feb 2013

My 9 year old son has been passing a very bright yellow liquid discharge - it is a watery consistency, and the bowel motion appears soft and normally coloured from what I could tell, although it was difficult to see as the water was murky. The yellow does appear to be independent of the bowel motion however. It is a very bright, vivid colour, and he has been noticing this for the last week. He has a good appetite, although did feel sick enough a week ago to refuse any treats I offered him - other than that, there are no other indicators that anything might be wrong? He does not have pain on passing any bowel motions. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like gastroenteritis. Maintain hydration.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The episode of passing watery, yellow liquid along soft bowel motion looks like diarrhea caused by pathogens such as virus or other pathogens.

I suggest you to give him sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to prevent dehydration from the losses of water and electrolytes in loose stools.

Oral probiotic like Saccharomyces boulardi sachets can be given with the doctor prescription.

You can give curd, yogurt as they contain probiotics.

Monitor his hydration by urine output, skin turgor, thirst, activity, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

Stool sample to be given for tests with the advise of pediatrician such as stool routine examination, microscopy, for ova and cysts, and for culture and sensitivity to look for the type of infection.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the doctor for physical assessment, investigations, and for prescription of medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.