Child with bowel movement problems. Suggest some medicine and diet plan

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,
My 2.5 year old daughter has very hard stool, due to which she is finding difficult to pass her stool and cries a lot, what I have observed is that her bowel movement is not daily but on alternate days or after 2 days. Could you please suggest some medicine for the same and what changes are required in her food habits, we generally give her home made food which includes -> dal, rice, chapatti, orange and grapes(fruits).

Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Prblems with stools is a common problem with children. In most of the cases dietary manipulation helps in resolving the problem. I would suggest the following for your daughter
1. Plenty of water.
2. One or more servings of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables in each meal.
3. Regular exercising.
4. ensure regularity of timings with respect to meals as well as toilet habits.
5. Stool softners like lactulose in low dosage at night for a period of 10 days till the bowel habit gets regularised.
6.Reduce the intake of fast foods and red meat.
I hope this answers your querry.