Child with bowel movement problem. To be tested for spinal tethering syndrome. Surgery needed?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My six year old daughter started having accidents in her pants late last fall (bowel movements) after being well toilet trained for a few years. These were sporadic, but are now happening more often. (Twice yesterday). We took her to her pediatrician, who would like to test her for spinal tethering syndrome. I am all for this, and we will do so.
The bowel movements themselves are normal in size and shape, so I don't think its constipation. Obviously, we have to wait for the results of the tests, but I am guessing we are on the road to surgery, though I hope I am wrong.
Are there questions I should be asking as we go through this process? Things I should be sure to ask, so that we are well informed to make the correct decisions, should any need to be made?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I wonder whether the diagnosis is correct,because initially you say that the child got god toilet training!

In case of a structural lesion,it may not be so- rather she would have never attained control.!

Just check whether there is any problem in school environment, stress, school phobia. reluctance to attend the school,etc by which she may have this symptom as part of psycho somatic illness..

Also constipation is one of the causes for this type of problem with over flow.

She will need evaluation by the doctor as planned by you and then further course can be decided.

Good luck

God bless

Dr uma