Child with blisters on knees, elbows and buttocks. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My Son XXXX- 3 years - 2 months old. He has got blisters ( or boils type ) on his knees, Elbows and some at buttocks. There is no fever and he is playful. He had cough and cold for a while. His intake has also gone down. I am suspecting HFMD. I have taken pictures if needed.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like bacterail skin infection-impetigo.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the pictures of the child you sent.

In Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease (HFMD) the blisters typically present on palms, soles, and there will be ulcers in the mouth (hence the name HFMD) and usually the child will have fever.

Here the blister lesions present on his knees and elbows and there is no fever. So mostly it is looking like a bacterial skin infection such as impetigo.

I suggest you to examine his oral cavity to look for ulcers on tongue, inner side of lips, or on palate.

If there are lesions present inside of mouth, then there is possibility of HFMD.

And it requires just symptomatic treatment with paracetamol for fever, local calamine application and oral antihistamines for itching and hygienic measures to prevent the spread of disease to others by contact.

Whereas impetigo is a bacterial infection and it requires local application of antibacterial cream such as mupirocin in addition to oral antibiotic and personal hygienic measures to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of body and to other persons.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the doctor for clinical examination and to prescribe medication for the skin condition.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child with blisters on knees, elbows and buttocks. What could this be? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your response Doctor. He is now getting blisters on his palm and feet sole as well. He has cold but no fever. I have taken an appointment as you suggested.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome and thank you very much.

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome.

Thank you for getting back.

Consult the doctor as you planned and please let me know if you have any further queries.

And I wish XXXX a fast recovery and great health.

Best regards.

Follow-up: Child with blisters on knees, elbows and buttocks. What could this be? 44 hours later
Its confirmed HFMD after clinical examination. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome. Preventive measures.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back and updating about the diagnosis.

Continue the medication as advised by the doctor.

This disease is contagious during the first week of illness through the direct contact with nasal, throat secretions, and blister fluid.

And take precautions to prevent the spread of infection to the rest of family members by taking measures such as hand washing with a liquid soap.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery.

Regards.