Ask a Urologist   »  

Child with black particles in urine. What could be this?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have a two year old that we are potty training so she is going is a little potty seat. I've noticed that when I go to dump out her urine she has a bunch of black particles in her urine. Wondering what it might be and whether it's something I just need to keep an eye on or make an appt. with her doctor. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please send her urine for investigations

Detailed Answer:
The content of the urine and stools is dependent on the food and liquids we take.
Black particles in the urine of your 2 year old can be altered blood.
To confirm this,her urine has to be sent for Culture and sensitivity,microscopy,deposits etc.
Sometimes,simple Ultrasound abdomen to rule out any problem in kidney/Ureter/ urinary bladder .
So,i request you not to neglect and consult a Urologist for Clinical examination and investigations.
Wish her good health
If you have any queries,i will clarify furhter