Child with abdominal pain, nausea, shaky feeling in chest, decrease in appetite, bloating, skin rash. Problem?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
My nine year old daughter is being evaluated for the following symptoms, abdominal pain right side and around belly button, nausea, shakey feeling in chest (not anxiety related), decrease in appetite, bloating, and a skin rash that is worse at night. They have done blood work and said that it was ok and they did an ultrasound which showed what they are calling a 2mm polyp. Her symptoms are consistant and are increasing. Is this little polyp the cause of all her issues? We do not have an appointment for a specialist but should have one this week. Could this be something serious? How do I help my daughter?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Can you please specify where the polyp has been located?

If possible, type in the relevant findings in the ultrasound report or attach a scanned copy of the report.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist

Follow-up: Child with abdominal pain, nausea, shaky feeling in chest, decrease in appetite, bloating, skin rash. Problem? 16 hours later
The poly is in the mucous membrane of her gallbladder.

Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 16 hours later

I understand your anxiety regarding your daughter's symptoms and the ultrasound finding of a gall bladder polyp.

Now, gall bladder polyps are not at all uncommon. Approximately, 1 in 20 people have gallbladder polyps. Most of the time they are harmless and do not cause any problems. In fact, many are found out only incidentally - during an abdominal scan or some other evaluation. Of the ones which cause problems, size is an important factor. Polyps less than 1 cm (10 mm) usually do not produce significant symptoms.

So, a 2 mm polyp is a very tiny one and would be very unlikely to be the cause of your daughter's symptoms. It is harmless and not serious, and there is no need to worry about it.

The other possible causes for her nausea, abdominal pain and deceased appetite could be:
- Stomach / duodenal ulcers, related to an acid peptic disease
- Parasitic worm infestation - can produce such abdominal symptoms as well as a skin rash.

You can wait to see the specialist who will be able to to examine her and advise further treatment. Giving her a course of de-worming tablets may also help.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist