Child with abdominal pain. Done with endoscopy. What could be this?

Good

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
My four year old is complaining intermittently of pain on her left side and into the middle of her tummy too. The pain on her left side seems worse. She's had it for about a week now. She does suffer from functional abdominal pain and had a normal endoscopy a year ago. Could this be gas or should she be checked out? She has no other symptoms. She has passed bowels twice today.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
Yes your child's symptoms do resemble most probably to a functional abdominal pain rather than an organic illness , since there is no associated diarrhoea or vomiting or constipation or fever etc.
Yes gaseous distension and acidity reflux problems can cause such left abdominal pain however such pain is usually self resolving or relived with dietary modifications.
Since its already been for a week it's advisable to get your child examined by the gastroenterologist or a pediatrician to confirm diagnosis and start appropriate treatment . In any case if there is any development of associated symptoms or the pain wakes up your child from sleep then you should seek prompt consultation .
Otherwise you can try the following to minimise the occurrence of the abdominal pain,
Make sure to give your child plenty of water and fluids throughout the day.
Increase fibre in her diet ( fruits vegetables , whole wheat foodstuffs etc).
It can also be helpful to decrease or avoid foods that seem to trigger your child's abdominal pain, especialy caffeine and foods high in sorbital, such as certain fruit drinks, sugar free gum and fruit snack candy. It is also a good idea to make sure that she is getting adequate sleep.
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up querie.

Follow-up: Child with abdominal pain. Done with endoscopy. What could be this? 36 minutes later
When I say 'left side' she is pointing to her left side rather than left (lower) abdomen - this is why I was confused as I'm used to her rubbing the middle of her stomach when it hurts. Is her left side still considered part of her abdomen/digestive tract.Is it somewhere that she could get trapped wind? How can I help relieve trapped wind/gas?

She has lots of fibre, water and doesn't have caffeine, sweets, fruit drinks. She gets over 12 hours sleep a night.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes her left side can also represent the gastrointestinal pain due to gaseous distension . If you are already taking such measures its best to get her evaluated and get prescription antispasmodic or anti flatulent medicines like dicyclomine and simethicone etc from your doctor.
At home just make sure you give her plenty of activity too .
Hope that answers your query.