Child with UTI diagnosed with mild separation of pelvicalyceal system. What does it mean?

Feb 2013

What is mean by mild separation of pelvicalyceal system My 3year kid diagnosis with it morning He had uti What z the treatment plan We will get urine culture after 4days My dr given norfiox 100dt And AN 250 if pain during urine He asked me to stop citralka and cefixime 50dt which were started today morning before scan His urine analysis shows pus cells 4 to 5 acidosis 6.5 Rbc 6 to 7 Fever had once yesterday noon 2pm Now no fever Why dr changed the medication What is the condition His weight z 11.6kg Advised norflox 100mg tab 1 in morning and 1 in evening Z the dosage z high???
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Urinary tract infection. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Pelvicalyceal system is a urine collecting part of kidney which joins with the upper part of ureter and ureter in turn joins with urinary bladder. I think it is 'mild dilatation of pelvicalyceal system'. Dilatation of pelvicalyceal system is an ultrasound finding which is due to widening of pelvicalyceal system of kidney due to obstruction in the junction of ureter with pelvicalyceal part. This abnormality will lead to urinary tract infection and if it is not corrected can cause abnormality in kidney function of involved side. The treatment plan is to treat the associated urinary tract infection with the antibiotics and to investigate the child further with other tests to confirm the abnormality and to assess the involved kidney function with urologist advice. The doctor changed the antibiotic to norfloxacin as it works well in urinary tract infections. The present condition is urinary tract infection and the presence of pelvicalyceal system abnormality has to be confirmed by further investigations. The dose of norfloxacin is 10-15 mg/kg/day, so it can be given up to 174mg in a day. As the tablet comes with 100 mg strength, making it 174 mg is very difficult hence your doctor might have prescribed 100mg tablet one in morning and one in evening. The dose is a little bit on higher side and you can discuss this issue with his doctor. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow-up: Child with UTI diagnosed with mild separation of pelvicalyceal system. What does it mean? 1 hour later
Reports says Bilateral prominent ureter..more so on right side Zoological feature likely represent post infective vesicoureteric reflux. Suggested review scan after a course of antibiotics pox check the report I attached Z this cures fully and has any future
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Reassessed with scan after treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. The report says 'bilateral prominence of both ureters and more so on right side. And the sonological impression is the prominence is due to post infective vesicoureteric reflux. Review scan has to be done after the completion of treatment of urinary tract infection to look for the persistence of these abnormality. If the abnormality gets cleared after the course of antibiotic, then we can think of post infectious vesicoureteric reflux. But this has to be confirmed by repeat ultrasound scan. If the abnormality persists then it is due to the presence of vesicoureteric reflux in which the urine flows back into ureters leading to causation of frequent urinary tract infections. The complications of vesicoureteric reflux are frequent urinary tract infections and kidney scarring. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.