Child with UTI. Stomach pain while eating, stool discoloration. Advice?

My daughter is 4 years old diagnosed recently with a UTI, today she has complained of stomach pain while eating, she just had a abnormal colored stool. Wasn't exactly gray or clay colored? Any idea?
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

As I understand from your description, Your 4 year old daughter has been recently diagnosed with urinary tract infection(UTI) and now she is complaining that she has stomach pain with some abnormal colored stools.

With this background I would like to know a few more details, it would be of great help if you can revert back to me with the answers to these following questions.

1. Is she on antibiotics for the UTI? If yes could you please tell me which antibiotics?

2. Are the stools loose/watery?

3. Are the stools fouls smelling?

4. Where exactly is the pain more? Upper abdomen/around the belly button/lower abdomen?

5. Is she passing mucus in the stools (are the stools frothy).

6. Does she have any fever?

7. Is there any blood in the stools or are the stools dark/chocolate colored?

8. When was she diagnosed with UTI?

Please do write back with the answers so that I can suggest better.

Based on your description, it is quite likely that your daughter might have some amount of gastritis or intestinal infection possibly due to the antibiotics she is taking for the UTI.

Another possibility is, the pain in the abdomen and altered stool color could just be a side effect of the medications she is on for the UTI.

You need to get back to her pediatrician if your daughter complains of sever pain in the abdomen or if she develops fever and loose stools with blood in the stools.

Please do write back to me with the answers so that I can make an informed suggestion.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.