Child with ITP. Low platelet count. IVIG gamma, anti D, steroid treatment done. Further treatment?

Hi son 2.5 years old. He has sufferring ITP from last 13 months. But not yet improve his platelet count. His platelet count between 2k to 7k from April'11. request to all please advise me to improve his platelet count and he get feel normal......
his last treatment as under
on admission reason: due to feet of bleeding in his brain (reason low platelet count near to 1k
after doctor consultation) provide treatment: IVIG gama, Anti-D, Setorid all related treatment

currently his sufferring fever and cold and his platelet count is 2k
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good luck and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your son.

In order to better understand what is going on I would like to know what treatment he has received since he was diagnosed.

There are several different medications which can be used in this disorder. Sometimes the disorder can remain for many many years.

Steroid medication is probably the most common which is used to help improve the platelet count. Sometimes if this does not work immunoglobulin therapy can be used with your son received recently.

I suspect one of the reasons why his platelet count is low right now is also that he is fighting a virus. Infections also tend to lower the platelet count.

If his platelet count remains low or if he encounters any degree of bleeding he may be a candidate for special types of immunosuppressive therapy. This was certainly have to take place under the supervision of the pediatric hematologist.

One other potential intervention would be to have his spleen removed. Often this can be a procedure which will significantly improve the play the account. It is often reserved for patients who do not respond to standard therapy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I will await the additional information regarding previous treatments tgat your son has received. If you have any additional concerns I would also be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert