Child with ADHD. Need medication?

my child has adhd undergoes ot classes is there a need for medication
waht to take and when what elseto do
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Regarding Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) management, a child-specific, individualized treatment is needed with a goal of maximizing function to improve relationships and performance at school, decrease disruptive behaviors, promote safety, increase independence and improve self esteem.

Behavior therapy is the first line of treatment here and if the child does not show much improvement and lags in performance in school then medications are needed.

In your son's case, a careful assessment by a proficient psychiatrist- behaviour therapist is warranted. A careful evaluation of his condition is essential to decide on the right choice of treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Child with ADHD. Need medication? 13 hours later
between behavorial therapy and medication wat else can be done
can u recommend a good child psycharist in chennai
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Behavioral therapy is the treatment of choice and most of the patients do improve with regular sessions with psychiatrist. Giving your child a healthy diet with happy and peaceful home environment is helpful.

Few herbs like St. John's wort, ginkgo, and grape seed extract, oats, etc have been found to be helpful in memory improvement.

You can indulge your child in certain exercises which increase the attention span of the child.

To find a good Child psychiatrist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing; those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
Hope my answer is helpful.

Follow-up: Child with ADHD. Need medication? 13 minutes later
is there no permanent cure for this
or when will all of his symptoms get under control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The symptoms gradually improve as the child grows. Patience and constant efforts of a psychotherapist can cause significant improvement and the child may become almost normal by the age of 12.

The speed of recovery depends on the extent of efforts put in by the family and the physician.

Wishing your child, a trouble free early recovery.