Child with ADHD. Lying, tearing pages, complaining. Counselling and medication not helping. Other solutions?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My child was detected with ADHD tendencies 2 years back and is still undergoiing councelling and medication. He is 6 years old now. His other problems are addressed to some extent but 2 predominant problems is still persisting. Tearing pages from notebooks and school diary and telling lies upfront. No amount of councelling had helped this to be reduced but has aggravated more and more leading to teachers complaining frequently on the same topic . I am at a loss for solution to this even though i tried my level best to explain and request him to refraing from this. International schools in Bangalore are so restless and unwilling to adjust that they keep threatening the parents instead of providing them a solution. The more reputed the school bigger is their ego problems and unwilling to make the child adjust and overcome such problems. The child is expected to be extremely well behaved and intelligent from birth else parents are harassed like anything. Is there a solution for these 2 problems permanently to avoid harassment from schools ? Councelling and medications are not helping to any extent.
Best Regards
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 minutes later
I completely understand the emotional trauma you are undergoing and agree with you that many schools take no pains to adjust to a childs problems or cooperate with the parents of special children.

I assume you have got your child thoroughly evaluated and counselled by pediatrician and child psychologist for the stated problem.Though it's true that occasionally some behaviours might be resistant to any changes.
The other way to handle this situation would be to make use of the rights given to Adhd students, which are based on an act called IDEA
It gives children certain rights before they are disciplined for behavior that is caused by, or has a
direct and substantial relationship to, their disability.
So though his behaviour might be uncontrollable, the disciplinary action need not be taken considering his disability .
The last thing you can try is to have a one to one discussion with the school authorities and his therapist so that together you all can come to a feasible solution to this problem.
I am sorry but there are no short cuts to the behaviour therapies or permanent solution to such problem and it might resolve gradually with a patient and persistent approach.