Child wet bed for the first time. Now has itch and redness. What do I do?

Question
My 10 year old daughter wet the bed for the first time last night. We were up late and she didn't wake up to go to bathroom. She slept in the pee filled PJs and didn't know it. Now her private area is all red and itchy. What do I do?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

As your daughter wet her bed, she has rashes in her genital region.

When your child's skin is exposed to concentrated urine for the length of a night, the chemicals act as an irritant to her buttocks and genitals.

To relieve her of her rash and to avoid recurrences, I would suggest the following

1.     Wash the area properly and apply ointment like Balmex over the area. Apply this for 5 to 6 days till it reduces.
2.     Make her wear light cotton clothes, so that air can freely circulate.
3.     Avoid blaming or punishing the child.
4.     Reduce evening fluid intake.
5.     The child should urinate in the toilet before bedtime.
6.     Make sure the child has safe and easy access to the toilet.

Since it is the first time it has happened, do not worry.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.