Child was given vaccine. Having fever, was given crocin. How to cure it?

My daughter (18 months) is having fever since tomorrow night (living in Bhopal, India). Yesterday afternoon she was given 2 vaccines (PCV and Flu vaccine). Around 12.00 in the night she had around 102 degrees and we gave her Crocin. Since morning it was hovering around 100 degrees but right now it's back to 102 degrees. We have given another dose of Crocin. It's really hot and dry out here, and she is not taking much of food or fluid, we are trying our best but don't want to force her in this situation.
My questions are:
1) Is it normal for the babies to develop fever after PCV and Flu shot? If it is normal, how long it's going to last?
2) How frequently or when should we give Crocin (I mean at what temperature)?
3) What should we do about her food? What kind of food to give and whether we should force-feed her?
4) Should we give her a bath today and to tomorrow?

Please let us know if you have any other suggestion.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 28 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. The response to your queries are:
1. A child can develop fever following a flu vaccine but usually does not develop it following PCV. The temperature following flu vaccine lasts for a day or two and usually ranges around 100F.
2. You can give your daughter Syp. Crocin/Calpol 5ml. 4 hrly if the temp. is above 99F by side.
3. Do not force feed your child. Offer food at the appropriate time and let her have as much as she wants. Once the temperature comes down she will accept the food. Do give her plenty of liquids to drink in the form of plain water, lemonade (shikanji), coconut water, fruit juices, etc.
4. Yes, you can give her a bath. That will help to bring down the temperature.

Keep your daughter in a cool environment and let the cooler / airconditioner run. Do not overclothe her. Cover her only if she feels cold. You may have to sponge the whole body if the temperature is above 101-102F by side. You may like to go through my article on fever at WWW.WWWW.WW
In case the fever does not come down in the next day or two it shall be better to get her examined by the doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal