Child was chewing on slipper. Risk of any infection from this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I was in the kitchen whilst I noticed my 1 year old daughter was chewing on the slipper we use when we walk outside. Is she at risk of any infection from this ??
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is a risk of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There is chance of infection of gut by chewing the slipper the slipper which is being used for walking outside.

Wash her mouth with drinking water.

Infection of the gut will present with vomitings, loose stools, and stomach pain.

So observe for these symptoms and consult the pediatrician if she develops any one of these symptoms.

If she has swallowed any small pieces of the slipper, usually they will come out in the motion.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child was chewing on slipper. Risk of any infection from this? 18 hours later
She has not had any symptoms for the past day now. Can chewing on slipper cause any serious infections such as hiv or any other serious diseases ??

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It wont cause any serious infection or disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

It is nice to hear from your side that the child didn't develop any symptoms of infection because of chewing the slipper.

Nothing to worry.

Chewing on slipper will not cause any serious infections such as HIV or any other serious disease.

Hope I have clarified your concerns, if you have anything please let me know.

Regards.