Child was burned by hot iron on calf. Healed but have small patches of hypopigmented skin. Treatment?

Question
My 10yr old daughter was accidentally burned by a hot iron on the middle part of her calf on the left leg. It healed within 3 weeks but they are small patches of hypopigmented skin that looks ugly. Is there any treatment for this pls. Pls I need your advice on this quickly.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1% hydrocortisone cream...

Detailed Answer:

It seems she has developed burn related post inflammation hypopigmentation. 1% hydrocortisone cream can be used on such spots.

However if I were to be her treating doctor, I would recommend to wait for couple of weeks more before you try this steroid cream. I have seen many patients with similar spots getting back to normal skin colour and tone in 4-6 weeks after injury. Therefore wait for couple of weeks more. You can use the hydrocortisone cream if you don't see changes in the next 2 weeks.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Child was burned by hot iron on calf. Healed but have small patches of hypopigmented skin. Treatment? 15 minutes later
How often and for how long do I use the cream. The wound is about a month old now. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Twice a day for 2 weeks...

Detailed Answer:

Twice a day for 2 weeks application of steroid cream would be sufficient. If you do not see signs of improvement in 2 weeks time, you can visit a dermatologist who can prescribe stronger and more potent steroid preparation.

Please close this discussion if your concerns are addressed.