Child was born premature. Giving Prenan formula feed. What could be the ideal weight?

My daughter was bor pre mature in the 30th week, she was born at a weight of 1365gm.
Currently she is in her39th and her wight is 2250gm with light weightrd cothes and dyper.We are giving her Pre- nan formula feed as instructed by the doctor with approx
3 feeds per day along with. We need to know wherther thr weight is fine as per the life cycle or we need to do something extra.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 4 hours later

Thanks for your query

Well , her weight is low for her age ,
her age is 39 days?
Premature babies have all the body organs working prematurely. Lungs ,Gut and endocrine glands all are not up to the XXXXXXX they just need time to grow and start working.
Babies born prematurely usually gain height and weight slowly, Is she feeding normally?

Any history of vomiting diarrhea or reluctance to feed.

Mother feed is the best feed for her if it can be given.

Hope I answered your query, If you have any other you I would be happy to answer.

Follow-up: Child was born premature. Giving Prenan formula feed. What could be the ideal weight? 6 hours later
She is in her 39th week,she takes feed normal but most of time sleeps while taking feed .we have to giver her feed in breaks.we target to give her 8feeds in a day for 45 to 50ml.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 26 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up

Yes premature babies do sleep more than normal,
and as their muscles of jaw are premature so they have difficulty in sucking a nipple.
You have to work hard with her and give her milk with spoon ,and while she sleeps during feed do wake her up by stimulation.

Increase the feed upto 10 oz, that is 300ml if her abdomen is not distended and no vomiting , gradually increase milk .

She will gain weight accordingly.

Wishing you a healthy cute girl.