Child walks on extended tip toe and has delay in speech. Asked to see neurologists. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My 5yr old great niece is walking on her tip toes fully extended. She takes speech therapy and she sees a psychologists that she seem like to her she has cerberal pasley she has had casting placed on both her legs to see if that makes her walk flat feeted
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs regular protocol of physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In children with cerebral palsy, toe walking is seen due to the spasticity and stiffening of the calf muscles.

A good, regular protocol of physiotherapy exercises are required in this child to decrease the stiffening of the calf muscles which will cause a significant improvement in the walking pattern.

Physiotherapy helps to decrease the excessive tone of muscles thus prevents the occurrence of stiffening of limbs.

Casting is kept to lengthen the spastic muscles.

Consultation with a physiotherapist for advising on exercises to decrease the spasticity of legs is important.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.