Child walks and runs only on toes. Help

Feb 2013

Hi my 2 years old baby walks and runs only on her toes . She does not lie down her heels on the floor. Doctors say there is no problem regarding bones just do massage to legs . My parents say that it is because of walker that she used when she was 5 years old . She started walking when she was 11 months old. please help.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Toe walking is normal in the initial stage of walking. But persistent toe walking is abnormal and requires evaluation.

But as the walking establishes, this toe walking subsides and the normal walking pattern will occur.

But other abnormal causes of toe walking has to be ruled out such as spasticity of lower limbs, neuromuscular problems, vertebral, and spinal cord problems by clinical examination and with the help of investigations.

Her birth history, perinatal history, and developmental history has to be reviewed and her walking pattern, neurological assessment has to be done by an expert such as pediatrician and pediatric neurologist.

I advise you to consult the pediatrician to review her history and for physical examination followed by investigations to rule out any abnormal causes for her toe walking.

And I need one clarification: You said she is 2 years old in the beginning of question and again you wrote she used walker when she was 5 years old. I need clarification regarding this age issue.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.