Child wakes up with vaginal pain. Using rash cream. What can cause this?

my daughter is 4 years old and has had no health issues. But in the last few nights she wakes up screaming that her vagina is hurting ; I put some diaper rash cream and rock her back to sleep . I checked the area there is no redness no bumps or anything unusual. What could cause this?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Radhika 53 minutes later

Your child is complaining of pain in the vaginal area.

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Does she complain of pain while passing urine?
2. Does she have fever?
3. Does she have any discharge in the vaginal area?
4. Does she complain of abdominal pain, back pain or vomiting?

There are chances it could be due to vaginitis due to strong soaps, inflammation, insertion of any foreign body in the vagina by the child, or any trauma to the area.

You will need to get her physically examined by a doctor before giving any medication. Sometimes due to infection in urinary tract, there will be pain while passing urine, fever and back pain. If not treated it can spread to other areas like ureter, kidneys.

Give her lots of fluids to drink, make her pass urine frequently and clean the area with water and mild antiseptic soap. Also ask her if any trauma was caused to the vaginal area in school, playground, by school children etc..

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.