Child wakes up coughing, taken Ventalin. Why does it happen at the same time each morning?

Hello. My son is 14 months and wakes at 5 am every morning coughing. This lasts for about 30 - 40 minutes and then he wakes crying. He also coughs during the day but not as much as when he wakes. He has ventalin twice a day so im not sure what else i can do to stop this cough. Why does it happen at the same time each morning ?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think your son has poorly controlled asthma . Cough is a common symptom of asthma in children. This occurs at the same time probably because the temperature changes and the environment changes at that time. In my opinion, you should be doing the following:
a. Keep the room at a comfortable temperature. Also, definitely use a humidifier since dry air itself is an extremely big irritant.
b. Vacuum his room atleast twice a week. Also, turnover his pillows daily. Prefer using allergen proof pillow cases.
c. Try and wash his bed linen in extremely hot water.
d. If these measures do not help, please see his physician. We would need to revise his medication.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.