Child vomiting easily, painful. Suggestion?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter is 4.5 years old and right from day one, she had a problem with vomiting. Even if she has slightest cough (which is very common in kids), she will start vomiting. She will wake up in the middle of the night and start vomiting. Also, if we scold her for some reason and she starts crying a bit, she tends to throw up most of the times. It is nothing serious as per our pediatrician but it is extremely painful for the kid and us.
Can you suggest anything which can improve the situation?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
According to your description your child most probably has a highly sensitive gag reflex which makes her feel nauseated and Vomit after a crying spell or during cold and cough .
Toddler vomiting is not uncommon. Vomiting or throwing up usually do not signify any serious illness during toddler stage because they have weak muscles especially the ones surrounding the esophagus as it enters the stomach.
However since your daughter is more than four year old it is worth getting her evaluated by a pediatric Gastroeneterologist to rule out any underlying disorders like Gastroesophageal reflux disorder or any such gastrointestinal problem.
Another common reason is a behavioural problem where the child may be doing it on purpose as a habbit or genuinely has a very sensitive reaction to any stimulus be it taste , smell etc to which she can't control but vomit .

So I understand your concern as you mention this has been a problem since birth but please do not worry as majority of such problems in children resolve with age in a couple of years more .
The best way to deal with it is to maintain your calm , try to distract the child and do not let it become a attention seeking behaviour.
If she communicates well with you , try talking to her explaining that whenever she feels so to go and have a sip of cold water and take a slow XXXXXXX breath which might help in overcoming the stimulus .
As for nighttime vomiting it's mostly due to coughing spell or throat irritation at night and is difficult to control. Try to give her plenty of water and a slightly raised head end of the bed to avoid reflux or regurgitation causing vomit.
If the problem persists or is intolerable kindly get her basic evaluation done .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing her good health.