Child vomiting at night, has mucous in stool and no fever. What should be done?

Feb 2013

11 month old vomiting once or twice at night for past 4 nights, has had yellow stools for past two days, now has mucous (no blood) in stool and very soft/creamy stool 1/day. No fever, fussy on day 1, now acts normal, a bit more tired than usual. What should we do ?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having gastroenteritis mostly due to a virus.

The mainstay of treatment is to maintain hydration of the child.

The tiredness is due to infection and loss of water and electrolytes in loose stools and vomitus.

Give sips of oral rehydrate solutions like Pedialyte to prevent dehydratiion.

Monitor her hydration by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral mucosa.

If vomitings are persisting, anti emetic drug like ondansetron can be used in prescribed dose.

Probiotic and zinc oral supplementation will decrease the loose stools and restore the healthy, protective gut flora.

Hence I advise you to consult pediatrician for the assessment of the child and medication prescription. In mean time try to maintain the hydration of the child by giving Pedialyte.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Child vomiting at night, has mucous in stool and no fever. What should be done? 7 minutes later
Vomiting is only at night and only once or twice a night. She is fine during the day and seems to be digesting everything during the day. However, she throws up her supper every night 2-6 hours after eating it. Also, she does not have a fever. She is breastfed and is not showing any signs of dehydration. Could it be something else than a gastro ? How long should we wait before going to the emergency room (we won't be able to see a doctor until Tuesday?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

Vomitings in nights for past 4 days followed by very soft creamy stool of 1 day duration looks like resulted from gastro related problem most probably.

Underlying gastritis is the reason for vomitings in children with gastroenteritis.

Other cause of vomitings may be gastro esophageal reflux.

To control vomitings I advise you to give prescribed medication like ondansetron.

Is there any distention of abdomen?

What is the color of the vomitus?

What diet at present is she receiving in addition to breastfeeds?

It is a good thing that she is not having signs of dehydration and try to maintain her hydration status till you see the doctor.

Physical examination is necessary to rule out the other causes of vomitings.

If the vomitings or persistent, or child showing the signs of dehydration, take the child to emergency for evaluation and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.