Child very edgy and fearing. Suggested mild depression. Prescribed Faverine. Safe to give such medication?

My 8 years old son has lately become very edgy.. Fearing that I leave and never come back... Fearing all futuristic plans not to work fine!! He cries quickly nit being able in many cases to explain why he cries. All these chages took place during last two weeks.
We saw a specialist who came up with an acceptable explanation that the case is a mild depression caused by some surrounding incidents in school and other colse relatives.
He thus described half a tablet of Faverine 50 mg daily for a week ( fluvoxamine maleate). But I am frightened to give my 8 years old such anti depression at such early age..pls advise if such medicine is given to kids???
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 17 minutes later

Emotional stresses and environment play a vital role on the child behavior,
for this only medication is not sufficient but your love and emotional support is very important .

Try to be very friendly with your baby so that he can share every thing with you.

Yes, you can give this medication to your child , its safe nothings wrong with it.

Hope I answered your query ,if you have any other query, I will be happy to reply.

Wishing him speedy recovery.

Dr. XXXXXXX Hussain