Child using ear bud. Got injured in ear. Started bleeding. Should I consult ent specialist?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi my kid 3 yrs old was having an ear bud in his ear while playing.maid picked him up w/o reaslising and he got hurt and scremed.blood was coming out . I have coonsulted my local pedicatrician and he says thre is a lot of blood inside and he canot see the ear drum. but he has asked me to watch and see if there is pus/pain post 24 hrs and then start antibiotics as sos. ear drum will self heal if hurt also.i si this ok or shud i get him to a ent

Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It seems that your child has injured his external ear canal. An injury to the ear drum with an ear bud is not likely.
If the active bleeding has stopped and there is not much pain then you can wait for 24 hours to see any change in his symptoms. Most of the times, minor injures do heal spontaneously in 4-5 days. You can put a local antibiotic ear drops like ofloxacin to avoid any infection in the area.
You can consult an ENT specialist for a local examination and cleaning of the ear in case the pain or discharge appears.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.