Child uses hand shower to clean up before going to school, washes hands repetitively, reluctance to go out

Doctor my son who is 9 years old engages into repititive beahiour of going to toilet and using hand shower to clean him up just before going to school, he also engages into washing his hands reptitively.
He is a healthy boy,but sleeps late in night and also is reluctant to do go out for physical activities without his mom, can you suggest a line of treatment and counselling.
Tried to contact ypu and seek an appointment but could not reach you
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     9 year old boy
•     Complaints of: Repetitive behavior of going to toilet and washing hand, reluctance to go out without mother, sleep late in night

His repetitive behavior of going to toilet and washing hand points toward presence of OCD). Usual age of onset of OCD is 15-25 year of age. But now we are seeing it in young ages too in our clinic.

OCD is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalised anxiety disorder. If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction. As in your child case he do not go out without mother which is a symptom of Depression.

He need further in person assessment and treatment from psychiatrist to treat his anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). It is not clear if he received any treatment in past. But now very effective treatment available to treat such problem.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety symptoms benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Cognitive behaviour therapy (form of talking therapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

I am sorry that you had difficulty in contacting me. My contact details are:

Location: Columbia Asia Hospital, Palam Vihar, Near Gol Chakkar, Sector-23, Gurgaon
Timing: 5pm to 8pm (Monday to Saturday, except friday)
Phone: 0124-0000 (for appointment)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.