Child treated for strep infection. Having thyroid problem. Could it be a pituitary tumour?

my son is 7..has been feeling poorly off and on since March 2013...I have seen MD..had labs..had a strep infection went with 2 different meds to finally get treated. His TSH was 4.96 and free t4 was .96 at the end of April. On may 24, 2013 it was TSH 3.70 and T4 was 7.8 MD said to recheck at end of summer so had it done first week of sept..TSH was 8.89 and T4 was 1..
Had an appt today with endocrine pediatric specialist...He was examined well Etc. She is not convinced it is a thyroid problem but since his numbers are off she started him on medication with lab to be drawn in Dec and Feb then go back and see her..She made the comment that if it doesn't help that it will be out of her department. I asked her to do an A1C which came back 5.4. I asked her later when she came back to room what she meant and she just was a long silence then said let's wait and see..Could it be a pituitary tumor? What else can make your hormones go wack like that ..
forgot to say his blood pressure was 137/67
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think your pediatric endocrinologist has a point

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Your suggestion of a pituitary tumor is a possible not to be completely neglected. However, under these circumstances, tilting towards excluding a thyroid problem looks very logical. In practice, measurement of thyroid hormone levels in blood is usually subject at times to fluctuations, based on the physiologic conditions. It is necessary at times to get the tests done again after some time, as rightly proposed by your pediatrician.

I would love to know if your child experienced any abnormalities during delivery like prolonged labor or a traumatic or difficult delivery. This could explain to an extent, why he might be sluggish. Normal A1C implies child does not have diabetes.

I really do not think you need to be bothered so much at this point in time. If the growth curve of the child had some problems, it would be possible it could be a problem with growth hormone, this possibility in this case is rare.

I would suggest a proper review of the child s delivery history, control all over as earlier suggested of the child thyroid hormone levels, monitoring the growth curve by pediatrician.

I am for the opinion that a CT scan of the head should be done to exclude a growth or tumor in the brain. This shall help in excluding any serious cause of the headaches the child is experiencing. Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking any further questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers.
Follow-up: Child treated for strep infection. Having thyroid problem. Could it be a pituitary tumour? 5 hours later
In response to your question concerning his delivery..Pregnancy was unremarkable except for a failed glucose tolerance test but then I passed the 4 hour one. On my father's side we have a strong history of high blood pressure and diabetes. I have been healthy. I was induced on my due date with pitocin, progressed normally, transition was quick had a little trouble getting shoulders out but did not label it a shoulder dystocia..apgars were 6 and 8..He was pretty beat up looking in the face. Weight was 8 lbs 11oz..He was breastfeed exclusively till he was 9 mos then intoduced some foods. He continued to breastfeed till just after his 2nd birthday. He is the youngest of 6. No health problems with the others. Age range is 23 to 7. 4 girls and 2 boys. All healthy. Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. I am just a concerned Mother.
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
more patience and follow up of thyroid function.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the detailed update.

I think you just have to exercise some patience and get the thryroid function done again in a couple of months. A CT scan of the brain to me is very useful in this case. I suggest you book for one. Get the child reviewed by your pediatrician regularly, I think you really need not bother so much for now.

I shall be glad sharing ideas once the CT scan and thyroid function tests are done. Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking any questions in case of need.
Follow-up: Child treated for strep infection. Having thyroid problem. Could it be a pituitary tumour? 4 hours later
thank you
Brief Answer:
Please close and review

Detailed Answer:
Thanks so much.

Kind regards.

Dr Rogers