Child took Allergex and feeling drowsy. Vomited several times. Breastfeeding mother also took Allergex. Any serious problem?

We gave our 14 month son a dose of Allergex (half teaspoonful) this morning at about 10am. This was recommended by a pharmacist for his initial symptoms. He became drowsy half an hour later and also vomited several times over the course of the next few hours, bringing up what breakfast he had too. All day he has been very sedate and this evening is running a mild temperature (38.5) but has not been sick or retched for a few hours now.
Last night his mother, who is breastfeeding, also took allergex at about 6pm and we are wondering if this maybe filtered through the lactation process, adding to the dosage we gave him this morning, thus accounting for the lengthy time he has been sedated?
He is showing no other symptoms, such as rashes, or discomfort. At the moment we are monitoring him and not sure if he requires any medical attention.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please stop using Allergex.

Detailed Answer:

I am dr. XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

Allergex is not recommended to treat cold symptoms in children younger than 6 years.

The sedation is the side effect from allergex. The lazyness is due to allergex too.
The prolongation of sedation is certainly due to the breastfeeding since the mother did have it.

Just stop using it for now unless your pediatrician asks for it.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.