Child taking delsym for cough. Can I give tylenol with codeine for the persistent cough?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 5 year old son has a persistent cough at 8:30pm I gave him 2.5 ml of delsym which usually works. He had been up coughing for the last two hours. His doctor had prescribeed him tylenol with codiene but I hate to use it too much. Can I give him that now or is there an interaction I should worry about?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You can give Tylenol with codeine for the persistent cough as prescribed by your child Doctor.
Delsym contains dextromethorphan and it has no any drug interactions with Tylenol and codeine.
You can give the drug in prescribed dosage every 8th hourly and if the cough is not reducing consult your Pediatrician again. It has to be re-evaluated if persisting even after the above said medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Wish your child recover soon.