Child taking concerta for ADHD. Prescribed serdep for mood swings. Now extremely sleepy. Thoughts?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
The doctor prescribed Serdep 50 for my son on Tuesday. He took the first tablet Tuesday evening and had no trouble sleeping. Yesterday (Wednesday) I saw that the pills had to be taken in the morning, so gave him one. When he returned home after work (he is a teacher assistant) he was extremely sleepy - when he woke from his nap he thought it was Thursday!
The Serdep 50 was prescribed from his extreme mood swings. He suffers from ADDH and also uses Concerta 36. Is Serdep 50 safe to use for mood swings together with Concerta? Can he rather take it in the evenings than in the mornings?
I note ADHD is under childhood problems in your list below - he is an adult suffering from ADHD
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Answer 1. Serdep 50 contains sertraline which is mainly an antidepressant ( SSRI) which can also be used for mood and anxiety disorders .
As such there is no contraindications for taking serdep and concerta but it should always be taken as per your doctors prescription.
Answer 2. Yes serdep 50 is commonly known to have drowsiness as one of its sideffects and if it makes your son uncomfortable do discuss it with his doctor and take it in the evenings .
Both childhood and Adult AdHd have similar treatments however treatment varies from patient to patient .
Also note that serdep may take few weeks for its complete therapeutic effect and many minor sideffects may diminish once his body gets used to the drug.
So please do not worry and always inform your doctor about any changes.
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing your son good health.