Child swallowed a aluminium ring. Having fever. Could I ask a doctor?

Feb 2013

my one year 3months old son has swallowed a aluminum ring this sunday at around 9:00pm...we were hoping that it comes out in the has not till now and today he is feverish...what should we do...
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 41 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Metal objects which are swallowed by children usually comes in the poop within 24 to 48 hours, if it is small enough to pass through the gut.

But make sure that it has entered into food pipe.

If it enters into wind tube, it will lead to choking, severe cough, and respiratory distress and this condition to be ruled out by lung examination and with X XXXXXXX chest.

The position of the aluminum ring can be confirmed by doing an X XXXXXXX of the abdomen. This will locate the position of the ring in the abdomen.

Fever may be due to body reaction to the presence metal in the body or due to some other source of infection.

For fever, you can give paracetamol in prescribed dose.

Closely observe for vomitings, abdominal pain and distention, and constipation, and report to the doctor immediately if the child develops any of these symptoms.

Examine the poop carefully to look for the passage of ring in the stool.

At present I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the physical examination of the child to look for any abnormal signs intestinal obstruction and to look for the position of the ring in the abdomen by doing an X XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.