Child suspected to get nail scratch from dog. Is it safe to give antirabies vaccine?

Question
Dear Doctor
My 8 year old son while walking through road chased him a stray dog and suspected a nail scratch XXXXXXX on his leg. The wound like XXXXXXX is not deeper at all and we are not sure If this has happened due to nail or due to him fallen on the road. Even the wound like XXXXXXX was appeared today I,e, after 1 day. It is very tiny one.
Is it safe to give antirabies vaccine? or is it necessary?
appreciate your answer.
Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Guru 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs vaccine

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

The most common mode of spread for rabies is through virus-containing saliva of an infected animal. Though, contact with the blood, urine or feces of a rabid animal is not contagious, in your case as you are not sure or nobody witnessed the incident properly, it is better to go for vaccination after discussing with your treating doctor. Observation of the dog is also needed.

You may be aware that Rabies does not have any definite treatment if occurred. So, it is better not to take chance.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Child suspected to get nail scratch from dog. Is it safe to give antirabies vaccine? 7 minutes later
Is the rabies injection safe? or is there a side affect? We are scared of giving any injection though in this case it is imminent. He is only 8 years old. Also he is presently suffering from Fever due to flue. is it OK to give vaccine now?
Appreciate your help
Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Guru 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your son's age is not a restriction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for followup!

Your son's age is not a restriction for vaccine use. Even mild flu is not a restriction. However, your treating doctor would decide the plan based of physical examination because special precautions should be taken in some cases like bleeding disorders, patients on anticoagulant treatment, severely immunocompromised patients.

Wish you good health.