Child suffers shortsightedness. Can there be a high increase in power in a short period?

Question
Hi, my son is 4 years old. Had an eye check in apr this year and the left eye has 0.75 astig and right eye has 1.00 astig & 0.5 shortsightness. Today i brought him to another clinic to do an eye check and the right eye astig is 1.75! Is it possible to increase by so much within 7 months?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
In the growing age it is normal to have an increase in the power of the lenses needed for vision correction. Since there is a considerable increase in the numbers, I suggest you to get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist. You can get his eyes tested once again to confirm that actually there has been such a deterioration in the vision of your child.
Meanwhile ask your child to use corrective lenses regularly and avoid reading or watching TV or working on computer in dim light.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffers shortsightedness. Can there be a high increase in power in a short period? 2 days later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

So for astig power of 1.75, is it equivalent to approx. 6/12? Or higher?

Thanks, Corrine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Dear Corrine,

Thanks for writing again.

An astigmatic power of 1.75 should be equivalent to a vision between 6/12 and 6/18.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you and your son good health.

Follow-up: Child suffers shortsightedness. Can there be a high increase in power in a short period? 2 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

That day my son's eye was hit by a ball. Soft type and the eye was not red or swollen after that. Can this be the reason why the astig increase so much?

Is there any eye exercise that can help maintain the power? I heard rosewater is good for astig, is it true?

Thanks, Corrine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for follow up.

An injury to the eye can definitely cause some edema of the eye structures affecting the power of the eye. You need to get a repeat refraction testing done after 15 days.

Eye exercises can help in maintaining the eye muscles tone but are not likely to affect vision much.
Rosewater helps in keeping the eyes cool and decreases tiredness.
Its efficacy in vision improvement is doubtful.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffers shortsightedness. Can there be a high increase in power in a short period? 1 hour later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

What is the extend of injury that can cause an increase to the power?

My son's eye was hit before we went for the recent eye test. But I see that the eye was neither red nor swollen and the ball was not those hard type.

So far he does not complain cannot see in school.

How can the eye muscles be improved to reduce astig? How can astig be improved for a growing child? Can wolfberries help?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Mild concussion can cause slight blurring of vision temporarily giving false readings of refraction testing. After the effect of injury subsides, a re- testing will help in finding out the exact correction needed.
The complaint of not seeing properly in the school is not common in children. They do not realize the difficulty in visual acuity.
Improvement of eye muscle tone will not necessarily affect astigmatism.
There is no medical treatment to improve vision in astigmatism in a growing child.
The efficacy of wolfberries is not proven in treating astigmatism.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.