Child suffering with mucus causing disturbed sleep at night. Suggestions for natural remedies?

Ayurveda Specialist
My child is 4 years old, she is suffering from phlegm and mucus. Before she used to cough the whole night and she could not sleep. I used Eucalyptus oil and Thyme oil as vaporizer and used to put some on her chest and feet. Cough is stopped but still she has lots of phlegm. A lot of medicines and antibiotique she used to take and I don't want to give her any more except natural remedies. Please help me. Thank you

Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 10 hours later

We have three humours in body and they are Vaat, Pita and Kapha. In normal stage they impart perfect health to body. However due to any reason - be it diet climate, pollution, living conditions, etc - any of these three gets disturbed it leads to disease.

In your case it is Kapha which is vitiated and resulted in formation of phlegum.

Cold and heavy things aid to vitiate kaph. Pollution and smoke are other potent factor that affect this. Remaining wet - be it due to humidity of atmosphere or wet clothes or due to perspiration even add to problem. If the immunity of the body is raised then these causative factors fails to cause any health hazard.

Amongst home remedies use of turmeric in hot milk acts to cure phlegum. Use of tulsi and black pepper in honey is another effective way.

Amongst medicines use of swamla will aid to improve the immunity of patient.
Mahalakshami XXXXXXX ras swarn yukat is an other medicine that imparts cure.
Avoid sour and cold things.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing best of health.

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul
Follow-up: Child suffering with mucus causing disturbed sleep at night. Suggestions for natural remedies? 42 minutes later
Hi again,

Doc I did not understand what tulsi means?. And also what do you mean by swalma, Mahalakshami XXXXXXX ras swarn yukat, is it medicine which I can buy?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 1 hour later

Tulsi is very common herb that was initially grown at the entrance of every home as the volatile oils emitted from this plant have antiviral properties and the entire air that one breaths while being at home was used to be stuffed with anti viral elements. The Latin name of this plant is ocimum santum. You may search on google and know about its properties further.

Swamla is a product made in paste form from Indian goose berry [aamla] mixed with herbs that prevent formation of phlegum and herbs that infuse immunity.
Yes , Mahalakshami XXXXXXX ras swarn yukat is a herbo mineral medicine having medicines that prevent phlegum and in addition there is microfined gold in it that is used to kick up immune system.
If you are from India, then these are commonly available at ayurveda/herbal pharmacy. This will offer results in a short span of time.
If you are from outside the use only 1/4th. tea spoon of turmeric in hot milk. It will cure this problem. It might take few more days for complete cure. Alternatively you can try obtaining it online if possible.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Wishes