Child suffering with cold and cough, prescribed T-minic and then given Relent with Aziwork which caused sleep

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor,

my daughter is 6 months 3 weeks and her weight is 8.1 kg. She is suffering with cold and cough past 15 days. Initially dr. Has prescribed for T-minic but she did not cure so again dr. Has prescribed for Relent(2ml) two times a day and Aziwork (4ml) once a day for 3 days. I observed she is sleeping most of the time after taking the medicine and not having formula properly. Please advice. She is having yellow urine also.

also it would be great if you provide information for specific diet in this case.

thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decrease the dose of relent. Increase formula feed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Relent contains cetrizine and it causes sedation and drowsiness in the child.

The child excessive sleepiness is due to the sedative effect of relent syrup which interfering with his oral intake of formula milk.

Yellowish urine is suggestive of concentrated urine which is due to decreased oral intake of feeds by the child due to excess sleepiness.

I advise you to stop giving relent syrup or decrease its dose with the advise of your pediatrician as it is interfering with the child oral intake.

Increase his formula feeds to maintain the child hydration thus increasing her urine output. And you give breastfeeds frequently.

Coming to specific diet in this case, you can continue feeds whatever you are giving her presently. If you have started weaning feeds, you can continue them.

If the child is not taking her feeds properly, activity is decreased, or showing any signs of dehydration such as decreased urine output, decreased skin turgor, or dry oral cavity consult the pediatrician for follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering with cold and cough, prescribed T-minic and then given Relent with Aziwork which caused sleep 1 hour later
Thanks for the response,just wanted to know is it okay to take both the medicines does it have any side effect as i heard Aziwork is an antibiotic and does it impact on the immune system of baby.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aziwok has no impact on immune system.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

You are welcome.

Thank you for getting back.

It is okay to take these both medicines when they are clinically indicated and prescribed by the pediatrician.

But cetrizine causes sedation which may interfere with the child activity and feeding.

Aziwok contains azithromycin which is an antibiotic. It is given when the child is having infection with a bacteria such as throat infection.

Azithromycin doesn't have any impact on the immune system of baby.

Regards.