Child suffering from running nose and cough. Should I continue levolin using nebulizer?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I am consulting a doctor for my 1 yr old son. He is suffering from running nose and cough. I can hear whistling sound while he breathe. He have tough time while driniking milk and unable to eat any food in soild form. Doctor prescribed him Livolin(5 times a day using Nebulizer) & L-montus kid( 1 tablet a day). Earlier we tried giving Livolin (.63) using Nebulizer but he somehow got afraid of that m/c and now on doctor's concent we have switched to Livolin syrup. This is 3rd day:- 2 days with nebulizer(gave 6 doses at regular interval) and 1 day with syrup( 3 doses of 2 ml each) but situation is still the same; though results were good while he was taking Levolin using nebulizer. Kindly suggest that should we continue or switch to some other medicine. He also suggested Nesoclear at regular intervel to clear nasal blockage.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 36 minutes later
It is definitely better to use Levolin nebuliser rather than syrup,because with nebuliser the medicine goes directly into the lungs where it is needed!
Secondly, medicine is used in small quantities so side effects are far less. When syrup is taken it has to go the whole body through blood circulation and so side effects are more.
L.montus is for prevention of further attacks and not for treatment of this episode- you have to use it for a long time.
The baby is on correct medications. If it is the first episode of wheezing your doctor may consider adding a short course of another medicine called steroids
Regarding the fear of nebuliser mask ,with recurrent use the child will get used to it.
Do not worry!
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child suffering from running nose and cough. Should I continue levolin using nebulizer? 25 hours later
Thanks for your reply Doctor.

Regarding Nebuliser, even consulting doctor suggested the same. But my son is so much afraid with that m/c that he cry all his lungs out while nebulising - making him sweat like anything. I beleive hardly 30% of the intended dose is inhaled by him. Also it take us almost 2 hours to passify him after nebulising.
Considering all the above factors do you suggest us to use syrup or nebulize.

Q2: many friends and relatives suggested me to use Nutrilite (Amway) products. Can you suggest.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
I understand your concern.
For anything we have to weigh the pros and cons!
If your child can not tolerate nebuliser in spite of all the gimmicks you try (like diverting his attention with a toy or whatever he likes and not tying the mask around his head but holding it over his mouth and nose)
You can give the syrup. No problem!
Regarding Amway Nutrilite products, I am not convinced about them. They are expensive and we have equally good products made locally.
It is your wish!
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child suffering from running nose and cough. Should I continue levolin using nebulizer? 19 hours later
Thanks again for your kind reply. Want to encash the last opportunity to ask a question in this tread.

Q1: I still don't see lot of improvent in my son's health. Though thers is no whistling sound but heavy running nose and hear sound of mucus(cough) in chest when he cough/sneeze. This is 5th day ( 3rd day on Livolin syrup). So when can I expect relief or till when should I wait? Any other medice you suggest.

Q2: He is 13 months old but his teeth havent appeared yet. Till when it is ok to wait for them to appear or any medicine that could help? Gave calcara phos* in past.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Glad to know that wheezing is less now!

The cough and running nose will take about a week or more to improve.

Don't stop levolin now - continue for 3-4 days more.

For running nose you can give anti histamine syrup like cetrizine.

He is already on medicines for prevention of such attacks (l montus) which you have to continue for 6-12 months.

Regarding teeth - wait for 1 more month and see.
There is no medicine for this.

All the best.
Dr Uma