Child suffering from microcephaly. Had devloped cateract in eyes and joint deformity. What is the cause?

hi i have a son with microcephaly but 12 months ago he devloped cateract in his eyes and joint deformoty can u plz tell me why thanks
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

Microcephaly is a condition usually seen in association with numerous conditions which present with many systemic problems.

Some of the causes of microcephaly which also can cause problems like congenital cataract and joint problems are-

alcoholism in mother (which can result in the fetal alcohol syndrome disability)
diabetes in mother

Antenatal infections -
varicella zoster virus (Chickenpox)
rubella (German measles)
CMV (Cytomegalovirus)

The above infections do cause problems to the primitive structures in eyes joints and other which within few months or later in life present with problems.

I suggest you to take him to the Opthalmologist who can plan a management and take required measures to prevent amblyopia.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.