Child suffering from loose stools, fever. On pentaxim, opv. Stool test shows occult blood positive, cysts, pus cells. Treatment?

stool analysis results. 1.5 year toddler, had pentaxim and opv on 5th dec. Fever on 6th at 100-102, loose stools from 7th dec onwards. In stool test Occult blood : Positive, Mucus :Present, CYST:ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICA, RBC :15-20, PUS cells :NUmerous. Thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your child was given Pentaxim and OPV and developed fever with loose stools the next day. Normally following vaccination some of the children do develop fever, but a loose stool caused by Entamoeba Histolytica is not due to the vaccine.

The report suggests that your child is been infected with protozoal infection causing ENTAMOEBIASIS and amebic dysentery .The common symptoms seen after being infected with it are:

1. Fever
2. Weight loss
3. Abdominal pain, including tenderness.
4. Stools which are loose, watery.
5. Passing of blood, mucous

This is mostly caused by contaminated water and food — spread by direct contact with an infected person’s hands or with contaminated surfaces; also by consuming food grown in feces - contaminated soil, fertilizer or water.

It is good that he is taking medication for this, continue with it.

You can prevent this by filtering or purifying drinking water (iodine or boiling); Washing of fruits and vegetables and improved sanitation will help to reduce the likelihood of transmission.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.