Child suffering from loose motions and taking gramogyl and entirogemina. Severe bloating and indigestion. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, My kid 20months old is suffering from loose motions since 5 days. Initial doses of Gramogyl and Entirogemina did not work. Now we started Taxim -o and Econorm. He also has severe bloating and indigestion during this period. Today's stool examination report has 5-6/hpf or pus cells and 2-3/HPF of budding yeast. He has not fever or blood in stool samples. i am worrid
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keep on giving sips of ORS to maintain hydration. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Continue Taxim-O, and probiotic econorm as prescribed by the doctor. And the mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain hydration of the child. Give sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) such as Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Monitor his hydration status by activity, skin turgor, urine output, thirst, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity. Usually it will take 3 to 5 days of time for loose stools to subside with treatment and maintain the hydration of the child by giving ORS during this period. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering from loose motions and taking gramogyl and entirogemina. Severe bloating and indigestion. Should I be worried? 2 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for the advice. Today after starting the dosage of Taxim-O, Econorm, 1/2 Histac evt and peditral (ors). We fed him with rice for lunch and now we observe some of the food as it is in his stool. (no-yellowish colour). Is this expected? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is expected one. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. In diarrhea, there will be increased movement of intestines. So food particles may be seen in stools because of rapid movement of food in the gut before its complete digestion. This is an expected phenomenon in children with diarrhea. Continue the medication as prescribed by the doctor and be in follow up. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.