Child suffering from jaundice and not passing urine. Looking for advice

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi, my niece was born on 28th September and caught by jaundice on 2nd October with LB 12.9 which XXXXXXX to 15.9 on 3rd October and later on 4th october came down to 14. Today she has not passed urine since morning 8 AM. Need your advise
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
I would like to know a few details for guiding you in the best possible way .
1. Wether it was a normal delivery or caesarean Or any complications ?
2. The mothers and baby's blood group and DCT ( direct Coombs test if done )?
3. Any blood investigation for baby done apart from bilirubin like CBC , CRP , serum creatinine etc?
4. Wether child is under phototherapy or any medications ?
5. Whether child is asymptomatic and accepting breastfeed and active alert etc

Assuming you have no new significant information and the child is a usual case of physiologic neonatal jaundice which occurs commonly in normal newborns , the most common cause of decreased urination would be phototherapy light induced dehydration or decreased feeding . Both of these are reversible conditions and frequent breastfeeding often solves these problems within a day or two . If child is in hospital then it's best to monitor the 24 hour urine output and also carry out a blood test called serum creatinine to know the function of kidneys .

Further advise can only be given based on the details of the case.
Hope I have answered your query.
Awaiting your response,